Executing a database update from within Toolbook....
s***@gsk.com
2009-04-01 13:17:49 UTC
Is there a way of having ToolBook "call" an executable code that is
designed to update a database?
Joe Bussell
2009-04-01 15:25:17 UTC
Greetings ToolBookers,
I have an application that works perfectly on most machines, but on some
there is an occurrence of a specific error that I have not been able to
resolve.
ToolBook gives the error as:
An internal error has occurred in file unknown line 189.
Press OK to continue

When I interrupt this with the Visual Studio debugger I learn a bit more:
Unhandled exception at 0x10078443 in Instructor90.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
violation reading location 0x00000004.

I failed to copy the stack trace, but it bottomed out at kernel32.dll being
called from user32.dll.

I have run extensive memory tests on a box that has demonstrated this error
four times over the course of weeks of use. No errors were found.

This error is very intermittent, a machine will behave for hours. This is
not pinned down to anything other than perhaps mouse movements.

This error has been reported on XP as well as Vista.

I have read through the one ToolBook post regarding this issue but it did
not provide resolution. I also found some other references like:
http://forums.techguy.org/malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/456483-application
-failed-initialize-properly-0xc0000005.html, but these seem to suggest a
firm barrier to operation instead of an intermittent error that occurs only
on certain boxes.

Any insight would be helpful.

Cordially,

Joe Bussell
Knapek Miroslav
2009-04-01 15:26:01 UTC
Yes - see function Run in online help.

Miroslav

Miroslav Knapek
MultiMedia SoftWare
www.MultiMedia-SoftWare.cz
***@mmsw.cz

2009-04-01 15:30:35 UTC
See

http://www.toolbook.com/kb/P1705
Version 9.5 native
I am having problems in native with smoothing of the text. I am using =
arial 12 pt regular. I have set the windows to show smoothing, so text =
in a Word document is smoothed.=20
Some of the text in the Toolbook application is smoothed but some fields =
are not smoothed - not smoothed if the text field is rich text. Bold =
text is smoothed.=20
The situation is further complicated that I have turned some text into =
graphics which were copied from a Word file. These graphic text files =
are used for equations and complex text. Text from the Word file is =
smoothed.
Has anyone else come across this behaviour? Am I seeing anomolous =
behaviour?
To avoid this problem, what fonts should be used?
At present I export the files and text of the dhtml files are smoothed.
However, because of the text problem I am not happy to distribute the =
application in native mode.
It seems to me that it is a shame that the quality of the product is =
compromised by the quality of the text.=20
Can the developers of SumTotal do anything about the problem?
All the best
John Henn
Jeff Rhodes
2009-04-01 18:44:10 UTC
Hi Joe,

Can you tell us what the user is doing when the error occurs? I ask because
this sounds like an error that we used to get in much older versions of
ToolBook when opening a viewer. The fix if I recall correctly was to not
forward the enterWindow message on the viewer script. Just a shot in the
dark.

Jeff Rhodes
Platte Canyon Multimedia Software Corporation
"Improving the Lives of Training Developers"
http://www.plattecanyon.com

Plug-In Pro for ToolBook
http://www.plattecanyon.com/pluginpro.aspx

TBK Tracker
http://www.tbktracker.com

The ToolBook User's Conference / e-Learning Authoring Conference
August 3 - 5, 2009
http://www.tbcon.com

Joe Bussell
Joe Bussell
2009-04-01 19:08:29 UTC
The bug does not happen when new viewers are being activated. Only when the
user is interacting with controls. It happened to me on my dev box when I
was moving my mouse with no buttons down.